Yesterday, Apple released Apple TV 6.1 with fixes for 31 security flaws. This software update is available for Apple TV (2nd generation and later).
This software update addresses the following vulnerabilities:
- CVE-2014-1279 : An attacker with access to an Apple TV may access sensitive user information from logs. Sensitive user information was logged. This issue was addressed by logging less information.
- CVE-2014-1267 : Profile expiration dates were not honored. Expiration dates of mobile configuration profiles were not evaluated correctly. The issue was resolved through improved handling of configuration profiles.
- CVE-2014-1271 : A malicious application can cause an unexpected system termination. A reachable assertion issue existed in CoreCapture’s handling of IOKit API calls. The issue was addressed through additional validation of input from IOKit.
- CVE-2014-1272 : A local user may be able to change permissions on arbitrary files. CrashHouseKeeping followed symbolic links while changing permissions on files. This issue was addressed by not following symbolic links when changing permissions on files.
- CVE-2014-1273 : Code signing requirements may be bypassed. Text relocation instructions in dynamic libraries may be loaded by dyld without code signature validation. This issue was addressed by ignoring text relocation instructions.
- CVE-2014-1275 : Viewing a maliciously crafted PDF file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. A buffer overflow existed in the handling of JPEG2000 images in PDF files. This issue was addressed through improved bounds checking.
- CVE-2012-2088 : Viewing a maliciously crafted TIFF file may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. A buffer overflow existed in libtiff’s handling of TIFF images. This issue was addressed through additional validation of TIFF images.
- CVE-2013-6629 : Viewing a maliciously crafted JPEG file may lead to the disclosure of memory contents. An uninitialized memory access issue existed in libjpeg’s handling of JPEG markers, resulting in the disclosure of memory contents. This issue was addressed through additional validation of JPEG files.
- CVE-2014-1278 : A local user may be able to cause an unexpected system termination or arbitrary code execution in the kernel. An out of bounds memory access issue existed in the ARM ptmx_get_ioctl function. This issue was addressed through improved bounds checking.
- CVE-2014-1282 : A configuration profile may be hidden from the user. A configuration profile with a long name could be loaded onto the device but was not displayed in the profile UI. The issue was addressed through improved handling of profile names.
- CVE-2014-1287 : A person with physical access to the device may be able to cause arbitrary code execution in kernel mode. A memory corruption issue existed in the handling of USB messages. This issue was addressed through additional validation of USB messages.
- CVE-2013-2909, CVE-2013-2926, CVE-2013-2928, CVE-2013-5196, CVE-2013-5197, CVE-2013-5198, CVE-2013-5199, CVE-2013-5225, CVE-2013-5228, CVE-2013-6625, CVE-2013-6635, CVE-2014-1269, CVE-2014-1270, CVE-2014-1289, CVE-2014-1290, CVE-2014-1291, CVE-2014-1292, CVE-2014-1293, CVE-2014-1294 : Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution. Multiple memory corruption issues existed in WebKit. These issues were addressed through improved memory handling.
Users can download the software update by turning on your Apple TV, then go to Settings > General > Update Software.